Jul 14 2018

Entry requirements – Portugal travel advice, portugal travel.#Portugal #travel



The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.


You can stay in Portugal as a tourist for up to 3 months. If you intend to stay for longer, you must apply for a Registration Certificate from the local Camara Municipal (Town Hall).

Travelling with children

A minor under the age of 18 travelling to Portugal must either:

be accompanied by a parent or guardian, or

be met at the airport or point of entry by a parent or guardian, or

if not accompanied by parent or guardian, carry a letter of authorisation to travel from that parent or guardian. The letter should name the adult in Portugal who will be responsible for the minor during their stay.

Resident minors leaving Portugal

A minor who is living in Portugal may be prevented from leaving the country if he/she is travelling unaccompanied and is not carrying a notarised letter of authority from a parent or guardian. The letter of authority can be issued by:

i) one of the minor’s parents (if the parents are married)

ii) the parent the minor lives with (if the parents are separated or divorced)

iii) one of the adoptive parents (if the child is adopted) or

iv) the minor’s legal guardian.

A standard form of words (in Portuguese) for minors exiting the country may be downloaded from the Portuguese immigration service website. There are two options under “Saída de Menores de Território Nacional”. The first one is for use by Portuguese nationals; the second is for foreign nationals.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK ETDs are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Portugal.

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *