Documents Needed to Go Between Canada – USA by Car #stein #travel

#travel to canada

Related Articles

New laws regarding travel between Canada and the United States recently went into effect in the U.S. and resulted in a change in the documentation required to enter or re-enter the U.S. by car from Canada. Gone are the days when you can enter the U.S. with a driver s license and birth certificate.


Recent changes in U.S. law require people to present a passport when entering or re-entering the U.S. from Canada by car unless they have other appropriate documentation. Canadian law also requires a passport or appropriate documentation when entering Canada from the U.S. by car.


According to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), all persons entering or re-entering the U.S. from Canada by car must have a passport or one of the following WHTI compliant documents. These documents are Trusted Traveler s Cards such as Nexus; state-issued enhanced driver s licenses, Enhanced Tribal Orders, U.S. military ID with travel orders, U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling on official maritime business, Native American Tribal Photo ID card or Form I-872 American Indian Card.


Citizens of other countries traveling between the U.S. and Canada by car need proof of citizenship from their country and proof of identity. A passport from his country or a WHTI-compliant document will satisfy the border requirements for both the U.S. and Canada.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *