News and Information
The Air Discount Scheme (ADS) is a Scottish Government initiative under the European Union’s General Block Exemption Regulation. Its main aim is to make air services more affordable for remote communities in the Highlands & Islands and facilitate accessibility and social inclusion by providing a discount of 50% on the core air fare on certain eligible routes.
State Aid Registration – Scheme Number SA.40925
AIR DISCOUNT SCHEME 1ST APRIL 2015 TO 31 MARCH 2019
This scheme operates under Commission Regulation (EC) No 651/2014 of 17 June 2014 declaring certain categories of aid compatible with the common market in application of Articles 107 and 108 of the Treaty (General Block Exemption Regulation) as published in the Official Journal of the European Union (L187/26062014).
- People travelling on Public Service Obligation (PSO) flights
- People travelling for the purpose of business. Business related travel is considered any journey where there is a business component, regardless of whether there is also a leisure-related component
- People travelling on NHS-funded trips (If a trip is wholly or partly funded by the NHS, there is no entitlement to Air Discount)
- Anyone in the eligible geographic area who does not have a live, valid card
- People travelling on any service where the cost of travel is being met in whole or in part by a third party
Application Form – Download the Application Form
Purpose of the Scheme
To fulfill the Scottish Government’s commitment to deliver lower air fares for residents of Scotland’s most peripheral communities travelling to and from Scotland’s key population centers and/or between airports within the peripheral areas.
How to get the Air Discount Scheme discount
You will need your Air Discount Scheme card and the Personal Identification Number (PIN) that was posted to you when you registered for the Scheme.
NB Fare levels vary depending on the booking channel you use.
When making bookings under the Air Discount Scheme, you should book discounted tickets only for yourself and young people under 16 years old registered to your card.
Scheme members who book discounted tickets for non-members will have to pay back discount claimed for non-member.